Boards Index General discussion Getting serious 57 scares in 10 years

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Tony Blair’s been saying we need more nuclear power stations and he kept saying that they were safe. Somehow he forgot to mention the 57 safety scares that have happened in the last decade. These included staff being contaminated, radiation spillages and cracks in the safety casing of a reactor. 11 of the cases were classed as serious. I wonder if the people living near the power plants were ever informed?

People say air travel is safe and yet hunderds of people die each year around the world in airliner crashes. I don’t see what the difference is with nuclear power stations. Sure, there’s been Chernobyl and Three Mile Island but think of the number of deaths in plane crashes since the beginning of nuclear power generation. Since the World’s first nuclear power station, Calder Hall in Cumbria, opened in 1956, over 62,000 people have died in air crashes. An interesting aside here is that, according to the air accident statistics I was looking at, in 1974 precisely 1974 people died in plane crashes.

However I’m not convinced we should build more nuclear power stations. Wind turbines (onshore and offshore), wave, tidal flow, tidal barages etc could produce a major proportion of our electricity if we were prepared to put the money where the mouth is. Increased energy efficiency too should be used to reduce consumption and narrow the gap.

Anti-environmentalists have taken to pointing out how much energy it takes to manufacture a wind turbine. That is an irrelevant in the energy comparison debate since it would almost certainly take much more energy to build, run and decommission a nuclear or coal-fired power station than it would to erect the dozens of wind turbines to provide a similar power output.

How many dozens of wind turbines do you think it will take to make a similar output to a nuclear power station ??

We have to be realistic here ; our resources are fast dimuishing – we shoudl be the first country to have a total nuclear energy capability – then we can tell the Arab states where to get off

Large wind turbine = 2 Megawatts
    Sizewell B nuclear power station = 0.85 Gigawatts = 850 Megawatts. 850 / 2 = 425.

So 425 large wind turbines would produce an equivalent output to Sizewell B. Like I say, dozens of turbines – 37.1 dozen to be precise!!!

However the wind does not always blow and nuclear power stations are not always operating at maximum output.

@bassingbourne55 wrote:

Large wind turbine = 2 Megawatts
    Sizewell B nuclear power station = 0.85 Gigawatts = 850 Megawatts. 850 / 2 = 425.

So 425 large wind turbines would produce an equivalent output to Sizewell B. Like I say, dozens of turbines – 37.1 dozen to be precise!!!

However the wind does not always blow and nuclear power stations are not always operating at maximum output.

Sizewell B – outputs 1188 Megawatts on 1 reactor

It is accepted that wind turbines on average are 16/27 efficient = 59%

1188 / 2 = 594 594 / 59% = 1007

So 1007 large wind turbines – realising these are approx 90 metre diameter turbines – thats a hell of a lot of space – where do you suggest putting them ???

It is accepted that wind turbines on average are 16/27 efficient = 59%

But is a wind turbine producing 2MW already taking the 59% efficiency figure into account? All power generation systems lose efficiency – nuclear loses energy through heat. Is the 59% efficiency relating to frictional losses etc in the wind turbine or the fact that it only works for 59% of the time owing to variable wind conditions?

Perhaps Sizewell B does produce 1188MW – I got the 850MW figure from the net.

Where would all the turbines go? Mostly offshore, as is planned – the second round of offshore windfarms will be located further out to sea.

And if we stop needing wind turbines they can be taken down and scrapped whereas if nuclear power stations become redundant they will remain in situ for decades, bits of them for centuries even.

Barring cold nuclear fusion i dont think we have an alternative to nuclear power generation long term

Although I was advocating windpower and other renewables I agree that, realistically, they are unlikely to be able to supply all our power needs all of the time.

Improving energy efficiency might be able to go some way to diminishing the increase in demand for electricity, though better home insulation, low energy lighting, efficient combined-cycle gas central heating boilers etc. can only go so far. Anyway, since many other countries, France in particular, are wedded to nuclear power so we can’t isolate ourselves from the subject even if we closed down all the existing nuclear (or should I say nucular?!!!) power stations.

@Mr Bigstuff wrote:

Tony Blair’s been saying we need more nuclear power stations and he kept saying that they were safe. Somehow he forgot to mention the 57 safety scares that have happened in the last decade. These included staff being contaminated, radiation spillages and cracks in the safety casing of a reactor. 11 of the cases were classed as serious. I wonder if the people living near the power plants were ever informed?

By way of contrast, I wonder how many ”scares” have taken place in conventional power stations over the same period???

All the scares happened in the UK Tommy. As for a disaster at a conventional power station, the consequences wouldn’t be as severe as with a nuclear power station. The funny thing is that if we had a Chernobyl style disaster in the UK, there’d be a whole bunch of British people seeking asylum in another country. Of course they’d all go to the nearest country (France) where they’d all be welcomed with open arms.

Apart from that, there’s the whole issue of transporting radioactive material by rail. In this country we have problems keeping trains on the tracks when there are people in them let alone hazardous and radioactive material. They’d also be an easy target for terrorists.

@Mr Bigstuff wrote:

57 ‘incidents’ in 10 years is a damn good safety record!

I believe nuclear energy is the way forward, sadly in the nuclear age, we’re still running on steam. A nuclear power station is merely a vast and very expensive kettle.

We need to be using the technology in order to understand it better, and unfortunately accidents will happen.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!