Boards Index General discussion Getting serious 92% say Live 8 money hasn’t helped

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author

@forumhostpb wrote:

Live 8 and all this associated spin and soundbite is exactly that …. spin & soundbite. Let’s make poverty history – yeah right.

There must be work for 10,000 people, working night and day, over a 50 year period worth to cure poverty.

The absolute immediate concern, is giving them A fair chance to live.

So the great unwashed queued up to be ripped off by Rock Royalty …. nothing much changes does it?

Yes, it just does my tree in you know PB. I just cannot get my head around the sight of suppossedly bright people in their thousands at these concerts believing the likes of bob n co.

Now celebrity cameron has taken bob on board, as if what he did was absolutely amazing. people REALLY vote on celebrity policy.
    Spose thats their democratic right, but does it do them and the rest of us anygood?
    Does it do cameron and bob anygood, YES ABSO-FOOKING-LUTELY. People like them are making a killing on the back of poverty.

Still perhaps the usual collection of tin pot African dictators can feather their own nests and use the money to buy even more arms in order to fight yet another civil war and kill even more of their tribal enemies.

I wish the general public knew what percentage of their hard earned went to the governments of these countries, they’d be mightily shocked.

Refresh my memory, how many was it that have been killed in civil wars in Somalia, Ethiopia, etc etc etc????

We havn’t got time to count…

If bob geldof has a truely valid point and solution, does he then need to look like some portrait character of jesus?

If he whore a suit and tie, would people be still willing to listen.

Its about image. Were obsessed as a society about image.

BRING BACK INDIVIDUALISM.

Cas

People, how do you feel, that geldof has made himself look good, on the back of a blagging spin technique?

Not made himself look good to me, but there again, he never did.

Santimonious B astard are two words which spring to mind :wink:

Have you been at the Sherry again Ruby?????

i thought live 8 was just a PR stunt for coldplays latest album

@emmalush wrote:

If Bob Geldof has a truely valid point and solution, does he then need to look like some portrait character of jesus?

That is so absolutely apt !!! I have this vision of the saintly Bob Geldof schlepping around in a pair of sandals doing his slightly mad Jesus impression, whilst saving all the poor people in the whole world ….. Rock Royalty style:

“Yer all f*cking c*nts the lot of yers now get yer f*cking money out of yer f*cking pockets and give it all to the f*cking poor…..urrrr f*ck, c*nt f*cking c*nts the lot of yers…. f*ck f*ck….. here, where’s my f*cking royalties yer f*cking f*ckers, f*ck the lot of yers.” etc etc (continued until he finally falls asleep mumbling).

forgive me if Im wrong here…….

but when Live8 happened, were’nt they encouraging you to buy the white band..?? at a meer £1…?? so isnt that asking for money… I do rem goin onto the live8 site as well, and u could freely donate money.,..!

my only comment is…. and think it has been said before…
    Im sorry, but they keep producing baby after baby…. both mother n child normally both have AIDS…… they are not creating life…. they are spreading Disease….
    and all these babies whom are parentless because of AIDS…. children bringin up children… the money been donated ending up in the wrong hands…..

Im sorry but ive done my bit for live aid and live8….. no more… id rather give my spare cash to Cancer Research or a Cancer Charity….

@rubyred wrote:

/apologies to mr bigstuff for warbling to him other night..*shrug* ..I admit my faults :)

When was this?

Getting back to the point, all I’m hearing is just a repetition of the same old stereotypes. You people are obsessed with the size of families which is not really relevant. If a country is poor, the size of a family makes no difference. You’re still going to be poor if you have no kids. As for AIDS, it costs money to do national AIDS awareness and prevention campaigns. Some governments may not have enough resources to adequately inform every single person and to provide medical care for everyone who becomes ill. The problem of education would probably be worse in rural areas.

Also, I keep trying to tell you that its a minority of people who live in abject poverty and squalor like you see in the videos from refugee camps, but the issue of poverty affects entire countries because the states are unable to provide all the services that they should do. The burden of debt and trade restrictions prevent countries from prospering. Africa is rich in natural resources but it is being shaken-down by rich countries who continue to take advantage of Africa’s resources.

As for civil wars and dictators, who is selling them weapons? Who is supporting the dictators? The longest civil war in Africa was the Angolan civil war. The UNITA rebels were being armed and financed by the USA for many many years because it suited america’s cold war objectives. We’re also seeing foreign multi-nationals getting involved in conflicts that surround natural resources such as diamonds or oil.

There will have to be continuous pressure to achieve full debt cancellation and make the trade system fairer (which is the most important issue). Live 8 didn’t make poverty history but it brought the issue of poverty to the top of the agenda. It’s something that needs to be built on.

Cas

@Mr Bigstuff wrote:

@rubyred wrote:

/apologies to mr bigstuff for warbling to him other night..*shrug* ..I admit my faults :)

When was this?

Getting back to the point, all I’m hearing is just a repetition of the same old stereotypes. You people are obsessed with the size of families which is not really relevant. If a country is poor, the size of a family makes no difference. You’re still going to be poor if you have no kids.

Quote:

My own opinion didn’t come from being obsessed……it came from what I actually pointed out, that you see these people, barely able to stand or walk through starvation, but they somehow find the energy to create more life!!!

:-s Cas, it doesn’t take nine months to starve to death.

There goes Bigstuff on his daily Anti American rant

Please folks let it be known that America is the only country that supports other countries – with a view to looking after it’s own interests

Why are you so against the USA Mr – of course they nees to look after their oil interests , as does any country with any common sense

You wil always have poorer countries – it’s a fact of life – just like the palestinians are fighting a losing battle – another fact of life – you can’t change it

Just accept it – do a little less of your left wing research and chill out

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!