Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
18 May, 2012 at 8:27 pm #496736
@blonde_55 wrote:
I have met David Beckham in the Trafford Centre, when we were out with my granddaughter who was under a year old at the time. David had his pic taken holding the baby and was concerned that she was safely strapped in her buggy afterwards. Lovely guy.
On holiday in Tenerife Nigel Benn was staying on the same complex as us, having given up his hotel suite to Frank Bruno. We were invited to watch them sparring. Nigel was lovely, friendly, funny and down to earth. Frank didnt speak at all and wasnt interested in the people watching. It was just before he fought Tyson though so maybe he was terified. I would have been lol.
I have also seen several Corrie characters out and about in Manchester. I don’t watch Corrie now so I may have seen others and not recognised them.
Best of all we met Neil Sedaka in Manchester, and he played some of his best known songs after the show ‘Laughter in the Rain’. He didn’t want to get off the stage. He obviously loves singing.
[-( Yes but I’ve played (and beat) Claude Greengrass at pool.
Seriously though, great post blonde x.
18 May, 2012 at 8:04 pm #496733@wordsworth60 wrote:
@terry wrote:
Wordsworth…..does the phrase deja vu mean anything to you?
Are you referring to the acknowledged repetion of this story on another thread?
Yeah…no offence. Su – don’t hit me.
18 May, 2012 at 7:44 pm #496730Wordsworth…..does the phrase deja vu mean anything to you?
18 May, 2012 at 7:39 pm #496776@wordsworth60 wrote:
Well, if apostrophic misuse can feature here, I can repeat this story from another thread without apology.
I recognised the late, great Curtis Mayfield as I passed him in in Denmark St in London a long while ago. Got him to sign my copy of Melody Maker.
He was walking along on his own carrying his guitar in a bag slung over his shoulder. His reaction to being asked was “Are you sure?”. He seemed genuinely suprised to be approached.
Contrast that with the story of a friend of mine who worked as a nursery nurse: of course they have to check who the kids are leaving with during the hubbub at the end of the day.
So one evening she went up to a guy she hadn’t seen before, who was waiting to collect a child and asked him who he was. His reply was “Yeah, you’re right, I was with Spandau Ballet”. She couldn’t help laughing when describing his embarrassment when she said “No, I meant which child are you here for”
I can’t remember which of the Kemp brothers it was . . . . .
Not minimising the importance of Spandau Ballet to many, but as the guy wasn’t there for anything connected with his fame . . . .
Very good. And a nice taxi drive too
18 May, 2012 at 7:36 pm #496775Look at the facts pol: the X Factor rakes in £2,000,000 per episode just from people phoning/texting in on premium lines to vote. And the money goes straight to Simon Cowell.
Take away the phone vote and there’d be no Simon Cowell and no X Factor.
18 May, 2012 at 7:27 pm #496772@simplysu wrote:
@terry wrote:
@simplysu wrote:
@terry wrote:
Anyway, good post pepper – despite the glaring (and repeatedly..) inappropriate misuse of apostrophes.
Forgive my hijacking of this marvellous thread, but when is there ever an ‘appropriate’ misuse of apostrophes? I challenge thee that the reply is NEVER.
Damn it woman…… Inappropriate use! :oops:
I wouldn’t have mentioned it, only you were lambasting Sarge for grammatical errors, so I thought, pfffft, hoist by thine own petard (or words to that effect; I am of course paraphrasing!)
PEDANTS UNITE!
Love it! Kudos to you Shirley xxxx
18 May, 2012 at 7:15 pm #496769@simplysu wrote:
@terry wrote:
Anyway, good post pepper – despite the glaring (and repeatedly..) inappropriate misuse of apostrophes.
Forgive my hijacking of this marvellous thread, but when is there ever an ‘appropriate’ misuse of apostrophes? I challenge thee that the reply is NEVER.
Damn it woman…… Inappropriate use! :oops:
18 May, 2012 at 6:58 pm #496767Good post pep and it was me that helped you crucify the nation’s sweetheart in F3. The dividing line between “sweetheart” and “sanctimonious bit ch” is a very fine one though.
You, Trapps and I must meet up in a pub sometime and get smashed. It’d be a laugh.
One thing about the X Factor that has determined a particular train of thought for me was the unbelievable appearance of Paul McCartney on the programme. Why has Sir Paul succumbed to the son of Satan (Cowell) in this way and risked his God-like reputation as a former Beatle in doing so? :roll:
Anyway power to the Pep; I agree with your sentiments, your thought processes and your conscience-pricking debating skills about how the moral decline of this once-great nation of ours is due (in no small measure) to the success of X Factor. It is!!
The trouble with this whole X Factor scenario is that once Cowell has gone there will be another blood sucking parasite to take his place.
Anyway, good post pepper – despite the glaring (and repeatedly..) inappropriate misuse of apostrophes. You need your botty slapping, young man! And hard (if I get my way).
18 May, 2012 at 6:12 pm #496759@simplysu wrote:
@anc wrote:
I’ve already made my comment on the other thread! However, it wasn’t strictly true, I just pretended I didn’t recognise Bryan Ferry, but, the true bit, is that he did buy me a drink – does that make me star-stuck? I dunno, I personally found it flattering! Love his music :)
Well … your Bryan Ferry trumps my Brian Cant any day of the week!
It trumps my Claude Greengrass too! :roll: But only just…
18 May, 2012 at 1:12 pm #496717@kent f OBE wrote:
I have had a few chance meetings with well known people but more significantly chance meetings with normal people who have made a difference in my life in one way or another
Sorry…when did we meet? :-k
-
AuthorPosts
